Did you know that if you follow dental guidelines to brush for two minutes twice a day, you’ll spend 1,460 minutes brushing your teeth each year? That’s quite a long time, so you want to make sure that the toothbrush you use is comfortable and effective. Toothbrushes should be replaced every three to four months, so when purchasing your next toothbrush, follow these tips to find the best match for your mouth.
- Choose manual or electric. Electric toothbrushes have been shown to be more effective at removing plaque and preventing gingivitis, but their cost may be prohibitive for some people. If your budget allows it, spring for an electric toothbrush; if not, don’t worry. Consistent and thorough brushing with a manual toothbrush will get the job done.
- Only purchase toothbrushes that have the ADA seal. One of the most important factors in purchasing a toothbrush is to make sure it has received a seal from the American Dental Association. This means that the toothbrush is safe and effective at removing plaque and reducing gingivitis.
- Look for soft bristles. Toothbrushes are available with soft, medium, and hard bristles. Medium and hard bristles can be harsh on the gums, especially if the user brushes too strong. Soft bristles as just as effective in cleaning the teeth and are better for gum health.
- Consider toothbrush head size and shape. Finding the most comfortable toothbrush head may take a little bit of trial and error. If you have a small mouth, a smaller head size may be better, while someone with a large mouth may clean their teeth better with a bigger head. Toothbrush heads are typically either rectangular or tapered/diamond shapes; choose whichever shape feels best in your mouth.
- Find the right grip. The options are endless when it comes to the grips on toothbrushes. If you have small hands or mobility issues, the grip may be more important to you than to others. Test drive a few toothbrushes with different grip options and go with the one that feels most comfortable as you hold it.
One your find a toothbrush you like, feel free to stick with it! If you want to mix it up or take advantage of a sale or coupon, go ahead and try a new one. Make brushing your teeth fun and comfortable with the toothbrush you choose, and don’t forget to schedule a dental cleaning every six months. To book your next cleaning, call Vacendak Dentistry at (757) 609-3510 or request an appointment online.