For kids, the start of summer is the most exciting time of the year – It means school is out and it’s time for fun and adventure. However, for parents and dentists, it can be a sugary nightmare. Summer is defined mainly by outdoor fun, but is accompanied by sugary snacks: ice cream, popsicles, fruit drinks, movie theatre candy and more.
Thankfully, with a little creativity, you can create your own tasty summer treats without all of the processed sugar! Here are our favorite tooth-friendly summer snacks that are just as sweet:
- Banana ice cream. Yes, we just said that ice cream was a sugary treat, but this ice cream is all natural and just as satisfying! Made with just frozen bananas resulting in a texture similar to ice cream, this snack is so good your kids won’t know the difference.
- Homemade popsicles: Store-bought popsicles can be full of added sugar, and making them at home is amazingly simple! You’ll just need a popsicle mold, and can customize them with your child’s favorite natural juices, or even add coconut milk to make them creamy.
- Frozen fruit: Easier than a popsicle, but still just as tasty and refreshing, frozen fruit cures a sweet tooth on a hot day. Give your child a bowl of the frozen fruit of their choice, making sure the pieces are big enough to prevent a choking hazard.
- Smoothies: Fruit drinks and sodas sound great when water just won’t quench your thirst, but they have tons of added sugar. Smoothies are the perfect sweet, cold drink after a day in the sun, and can even mask the flavor of added spinach for an extra healthy kick.
- Fruit kabobs: Fruit is an obvious choice when it comes to summer snacks, but creating a kabob station (using popsicle sticks and the fruits of your choice) and letting your child build their own adds a layer of fun and creativity to an ordinary snack.
Remember, replacing sugar with tooth-friendly snacks doesn’t mean you can avoid the dentist all together! Call or contact Vacendak Dentistry now to schedule a dentist appointment.